Thursday, October 20, 2005

Chip and a Chair

Home game --- five players remaining. I was in the four seat, David to my left, table maniac #1 bounced first, maniac #2 to my right, and Mr. Uber-tight, formerly to my right, just bounced. Normally, I'd be happy, except that I was down to T70.

I started with a brutal card dead, and then I couldn't catch a draw. I blew a good chunk of my stack on pocket 10s -- unfortunately the flop was all overcards, and in this game, aces never fold.

Finally, UTG, I saw paint and pushed -- J4o-- normally, I wouldn't give it the time of day, but I needed to get that Harrington "first-in vigorish" working for me. My 4 paired up and I quadrupled up.

I pushed again in the big blind, and doubled up yet again. Suddenly, the future wasn't nearly so bleak. Cards started hitting. I stopped playing out of position and started stealing blinds. David pushed and I called; my pocket 9s held against his pocket 8s (ouch -- sorry Dave) and I doubled up yet again. Jason fell next. Finally, I pushed out the bubble, and I was in the money.

Against the remaining maniac.

Who had no idea how to play heads-up. He was aggressive, but he could be pushed out of hands if you pushed back. I figured it out early.

I started out having his stack doubled; unfortunately, he sucked out on me and I was behind. Instead of settling for second place and breaking even, I pushed the aggression level up, recaptured the lead and walked out with a nice win.

Any night where you go from T1300 to T70 and back to T9100 is a pretty damn good night, if I say so myself.

3 Comments:

At 2:49 PM, Blogger WillWonka said...

I just found your site.. looks good.. It's nice to see other St Louis poker bloggers out there.

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger geoff said...

Congrats on the win.

Maybe we need to have a STL blogger home game.

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger WillWonka said...

I've got one going tomorrow night (Sat), if interested... see my profile for email address

 

Post a Comment

<< Home