Monday, August 29, 2005

Variance is a Cruel Master

About two weeks ago, I decided to try a different game - I was going to head off into the wilds of 7-Card Stud.

Ignorance and not really knowing how to play? Not a problem! I'm smart. I can learn, and by last Saturday, I was the greatest stud player to ever grace the .50 - $1 tables, having walked away with twice my buy-in on three sessions.

You can see where this is going, right?

I'm happy to report that I've handed nearly all of my profits right back. It's one of those nights where instead of hitting me in the face, the deck kicked me in the nuts. Repeatedly. I'd catch a flush - and run right into a full house. I'd catch two pairs, only to see someone catch a set on 7th street.

I'm still enjoying the game, but I clearly need a little work. Any reading suggestions or tips? I'd welcome them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home